In 2017, the Under 9 and 10 age groups will consist of three participation levels: Geckos, Goannas and Komodo Dragons. These groups have been established to enhance the enjoyment of the game for players by enabling like skilled teams to play others of approximately the same standard.
- Komodo Dragon teams include players who have above average skills. Matches are usually played with more speed, skill and tactics.
- Goanna teams include players of average skills, who have played the sport previously and as such know the rules and how to play as a team, while engaging in matches with minimal instruction from their coach.
- Gecko teams will involve players who are new to small-sided football (SSF) or have basic skills of the game and as such require assistance and time to develop their skills and teamwork.
To ensure that we can accommodate this policy, at the end of each season coaches of players moving into these age groups in 2017 (U8 and U9 in 2016) provide recommendations to the coaching staff with respect to which level they believe is best suited to the continued development of each player.
Those players nominated for Komodos will be invited to attend a skills assessment session at the end of the 2016 season to ensure that they will be playing at the right level in 2017. There will be an opportunity for all parents to request an opportunity for their child to attend the skills assessment if they feel strongly that they are in the top third of players in the age group in terms of skill and game awareness and would like to play at Komodos level.
Following the skills assessment, the Komodos teams for 2017 will be communicated to those assigned to that level within one week of the completion of the grading process. Goanna and Geckos teams will be finalised and communicated to the coaches and parent group prior to the first training session of the 2017 season.
The trials will be held on Field 3 at The Gap Football Club at the following times:
- U8 (2016) – Monday 8th February 17:15–19:00
- U9 (2016) – Tuesday 9th February 18:30 –20:00
Trials will be in the form of 7-a-side games. If accepted into Komodos, players will be required to train two days a week at The Gap Football Club.
Current and new players who believe they have the skill, ability and desire to play in Komodos are encouraged to register their interest as soon as possible.