In a hard-fought contest at Walton Bridge Reserve, The Gap have defeated Souths 2-0 to book their place in the Grand Final which will be played at Walton Bridge, this Sunday, 9 September at 3pm. It was always going to be a hard task for Souths facing the minor premiers, who only dropped two games all season, at home.
Despite that, the visitors had the best chance of the first half finding themselves with what looked like a one-on-one with Gap keeper Noran Abaza. But after keeping their cool and chipping Abaza, Souths were denied on the goal-line by Kim Abbott who almost appeared to materialise out of thin air.
In the second half The Gap began manage to assert themselves more. A great cross by Talitha Doro found Tiarne Petterwood’s to squeeze between Souths’ keeper Chloe Cole and the near post.
Both teams continued to have their chances but the scoreboard was not troubled again until the 88th minute. Laine Sunderland, a late starter in place of Jess Dillon, demonstrated great ball control to weave her way through traffic in the box. Not rushing, Sunderland placed her shot into the bottom-right corner for a 2-0 lead and almost guaranteed victory.
The Gap now face Brisbane Roar NTC in the Grand Final after they defeated Lions FC 4-1 in the other semi.
- 7’ Gap chance – Sarah Miller takes the corner for The Gap and Ruth Blackburn gets her head on it but it's saved by Souths’ keeper, Chloe Cole.
- 20’ Gap chance – Cross comes in from Charli McLennan and falls for Greta Bodey whose shot just flashes over the cross bar.
- 24’ Gap chance – Long range shot from Blackburn goes just wide.
- 30’ Gap chance – Mad scramble in the box but Cole denies the home team once again.
- 35’ Souths chance – Long range attempt saved by advancing Gap keeper, Noran Abaza.
- 41’ huge Souths chance – Easily the best chance of the first half. The Gap’s defence missed a header allowing the ball to get behind them and Souths take advantage, chipping Abaza in goals, but Kim Abbott comes out of nowhere with the goal-line clearance. Arguably the best save this season.
- Half time – Gap 0 v Souths 0.
- 51’ Gap chance – Great shot from Bodey is denied by Cole.
- 53’ Souths chance – Abaza with another good take in goals with pressure coming from Souths' forwards.
- 58’ Gap goal – Quick throw allows Talitha Doro to make a break down the side line. She puts in a great cross and it’s Petterwood with a fantastic finish to break the deadlock. Gap lead 1-0.
- 65’ Souths chance – Another great clearance off the line from Abbott who is playing an absolute blinder.
- 79’ Gap chance – Another set piece opportunity from the corner but the header is just wide of the right-hand post.
- 88’ Gap goal – Nice moves through traffic by Laine Sunderland and a polished finish. She finds the back of the net with placement and makes it almost a certainty for the home team. Gap lead 2-0.
- Full time – Gap 2 defeat Souths 0.