Match report Gold Coast United v The Gap (Gold Coast home game) 25 March 2018 – Walton Bridge Reserve
The Gap have made hard work of it for the second successive week with an exciting 4-3 win over Gold Coast on Saturday night.
Once again The Gap fell behind to an early strike from Gold Coast’s American import, Anjelyka Brown, who found herself unmarked to head home from a corner in the 3rd minute.
Although The Gap had periods of dominance for the remainder of the half they failed to capitalise on a number of half chances and trailed 1-0 at the half.
After the break, The Gap were given a controversial penalty when Talitha Doro was brought down in the box. Although the Gold Coast player clearly won the ball, the fact the tackle was from behind and the trailing leg came through Doro may have swayed the referee. Ruth Blackburn calmly converted the penalty.
This sparked a flurry of goals over the next five minutes. As has been the case in recent weeks, The Gap were quick to concede again when Brown grabbed herself a brace with an impressive finish from the edge of the box into the top right-hand corner.
Blackburn grabbed another equaliser three minutes later with an equally impressive shot from 25 metres. She notched up her hat trick in the 73rd minute getting on the end of a Charli Mclennan cross.
The Gap lead lasted just three minutes with Jess Dillon conceding a free kick on the right-side edge of the penalty area. Mackenzie Akins expertly curled the free kick over stand-in keeper Laine Sunderland to make it 3-3.
After that The Gap threw everything they had at a resolute and determined Gold Coast and the game seemed destined for a draw.
Call in Ruth Blackburn who arrived late in the box to smash home a Charli Mclennan cross in the 93rd minute to break Gold Coast hearts and notch her fourth goal of the match.
- 3rd min: Goal – Gold Coast – No. 13 Anjelyka Brown; score 1-0
- Half time Gold Coast 1 - Gap 0
- Half time Sub – Gap – No. 2 Hayley Riccardi off, No. 14 Charli McLennan on
- 49th min: Penalty – Gap – No. 15 Ruth Blackburn; score 1-1
- 51st min: Goal – Gold Coast – No. 13 Anjelyka Brown; score 2-1
- 54th min: Goal – Gap – No. 15 Ruth Blackburn; score 2-2
- 55th min: Sub – Gold Coast – No. 17 George Elliston off, No. 7 Lua Suero on
- 58th min: Yellow Card – Gold Coast – No. 15 Kimberly Shrimpton
- 70th min: Sub – No. 19 Krista Ruehe off, No. 12 Teleya Reynolds on
- 73rd min: Goal – Gap – No. 15 Ruth Blackburn; score 2-3
- 76th min: Goal – Gold Coast – No. 9 Mackenzie Akins (free kick); score 3-3
- 87th min: Sub – Gold Coast – No. 22 Phoebe Clissold off, No. 21 Phoebe Cave on
- 90+ min: Goal in injury time – Gap – No. 15 Ruth Blackburn; score 3-4